ALL leaders AND adults registered or attending events in Boy Scout Troops need to be trained, for the safety of the Scouts. The most important and required training course for everyone is Youth Protection Training (YPT).
There are other trainings that can be taken in order to become more familiarized and knowledgeable of the troop, its leadership and functions within the troop.
Fortunately, many of these courses can be done online and in the comfort of your own home. Most online courses take only a little while to complete (15-30 minutes).
The online courses are available at www.my.scouting.org.
You will need to create an account in order to complete the online training courses. This is simple. Most is self-explanatory.
First, click the “Create an Account” button at www.my.scouting.org to begin.
Next, you will be asked if you are Associated with Boy Scouts? Select YES
Then you will be asked – Do you know your Member number?
- If you are registered – click Yes – Enter the number on your BSA Scouting card (the number between the * * at the bottom of the card) and your Date of Birth.
- If you are NOT registered – click No. You will need to fill in the required information.
- Suffolk County Council Inc – Medford, NY #404
- Matinecock District
- Unit Troop 218
Follow the remaining instructions, and that’s it! You are now ready to begin training.
Sign in at www.my.scouting.org with your username and password.
Once signed in, click “Home” on the top left-hand side of the page, and click on “My Dashboard”.
- There you can click on the “YPT” tab – Select “Youth Protection Training – Take Course” button to begin. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
* New leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training (YPT) within 30 days of registering and before volunteer service with youth begins.
- To take other BSA online trainings, select the “Training Center” tab.
- To view trainings specific to your Position, select the “Requirements” tab. (Some courses many not be available online and must be completed in person) Contact the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM) for more information or visit the Suffolk County Councils Training calendar here
- To view all of your completed trainings, select the “Completions” tab.
Once you have completed a course, simply print your certificate/training card, and you’re done!
If you have any further questions, please contact the Scoutmaster/ASMs or another adult leader.